Monday, February 2, 2009

hay un medicino en la casa?

Buen dia o buenas tardes o cualesquiera... está en la tarde aqui.
Today is the exemplar of why Mondays have the reputation they do. Because they are dumb. We are all taking it hard here at casa ACU. Rough. (you could say)
This morning I woke up to a colorful Carnaval payasa (clown) with Stefanie L's voice telling me to "wake up ejessy. you're missing lab." I fell asleep while I reading for class (very soon after I returned from Carnaval) without setting an alarm..it was frightening and I'm going to start locking my windows when I go to bed.

Its hard coming back to the weekday routine after such a weekend. It was sporadic. The rain came to a parched country via answered prayers but caused problems for the group's weekend plans (thats what usually happens when you plan in my opinion, but you can take it or leave it.) It started with a sprinkle Wednesday night while we were on our way back to the casa after dinner and barely cleared up in time to bring sunshine to the desfiles (parade) last night (marks the beginning of Carnaval) that was cancelled Thursday night. Our trip to Punta del Este was also postponed because of rain but because of some folk's previous and non-refundable reservations about 8 or so left thursday night to spend the weekend in a rainy Punta del Este and the next day 6 more followed suit. So it was quiet around here and somewhat melancholy after the first 24 hours or so. I enjoyed it because for all I know that could be the only rain we see here in Montevideo but Friday felt a little TOO free with no beach, no class and no full house and the eery white light that came filtered through the clouds reminded me too much of Oxford, and it was unsettling. Today feels better now that the light in the windows is made of glowy, warm hues, all is as it should be. (ahhh.)

All I can think about today is how I live in a community that exudes so many true Christian values. Its truly been such a blessing. In particular I have been especially touched by the willingness give to one another and the sharing that happens at casa ACU, and without hesitation. For instance, as soon as one person got sick, there was no hesitation to freely give it to everyone in the house... and in fact we have at least six people who are sharing that love today. Wimon and notable others are up and moving now, but were not so jolly in days previous.
Mmm, who doesn't love community living? Its like our own little infirmary. In fact, I'm going to take a bath in rubbing alcohol and cover my face with a menthol rag... cause I'm getting on that bus next week, even if I'm sharing the love all the way to Buenos Aires.

On a more serious and vastly less amusing note, we have some really sick amigos at this house. Halie in particular. She was the first to go down and is definitely the worse case even today. There's almost one sickling in every room. Feel free to donate your prayers.
We accept all major credit cards, with a meager 20 peso fee for international transfer.

Don't worry about me though, I won't be getting sick. I don't wash my hands until emergency situations that way it counts when I really need it... cause the best defense is a good offense. tengo raizon? My immune system is like a ninja warrior.

¡nanu-nanu!
-jessalyn


Beautiful Candombe dancers


This girl is not running to hug the giant green bottle. She wants to kick the giant green bottle in the stomach. It was awesome.
A shout out to the walking sodas of various colors who took it like champs as they were mercilessly beaten by giddy children lining the street. I wish I could see green bottle-man's face... heheheheh.


"wake up ejessie... you're missing lab. heeeheeHEHHhehhecreepylaughheheh."


Sarah and Nikki

No comments: