Monday, April 13, 2009

it's that same time of year


Easter Sunday from Kara DuBose on Vimeo.

Video by Carolyn Howell.

Here's a short video of our Easter Sunday Festivities here at the Casa ACU. It is important that you know that Carolyn Howell filmed and put together this video. It was neither Jessalyn nor I who constructed such a beautiful project.
THANK YOU CAROYLN HOWELL!

Also, here are two blogs you can look at to see professional videos and pictures of our trip to Brazil. This crew was sent to capture footage with legit cameras. Don't worry- we're making a video too. Though ours may not be the same quality of video, it is undoubtably quality footage!

http://scottinsouthamerica.blogspot.com/
http://ronnieruizblog.com/

Three weeks. That's virtually all we have left in this peach of a place. I'm in a weird place- and by place I am not referring to location. Oh no, folks- I am referring to a state of mind. I've been here before and I remember the feeling well from Oxford. I am looking forward to what's ahead (Texas soil, Harold's Barbeque, TexMex food, family, friends), but overwhelmed by the sad reality that this time in my life will never be repeated. This time last year I was in Oxford in the backyard of House 9 on Canterbury Road eating a cajun chicken sandwich from On the Hoof, drinking a strawberry juice box from the "9 to 9" convenient store, enjoying the company of some of the best ACUians I've ever met just playin' guitar and singin' improv songs about each other. Oh man. Those were some good times. Even then, I missed the same things I am missing right now. Yet I was torn between two worlds, both seemingly knowing nothing of the other.

Three weeks left. Have I said that already? Well, this year the things I am going to miss are different from those of enchanting Oxford, England. I am going to miss the precious people I have met here- the Uruguayan people and all the things they have taught me. I have loved being a part of their lives. I am so blessed by them and I don't even know how to show or communicate how much they mean to me and how thankful I am for them. I'm sure I will give you guys a list of things I have learned from them and from being here on the last week here or the first week I'm home. But if I go into it now, I'll get all mushy and nobody likes that. Plus, I am sort of trying not to think about it so much just yet. Which is also why I am watching a marathon of "The Office" tonight. Some of us in the ol' Casa ACU (including both professors and spouses) are on season 3 of The Office and loving every bit of it. I never have time to watch TV at home, so it's been fun to have Office parties. In fact, Shelly and I were talking about that tonight-- the fact that it's been so nice here to not have to juggle a million different things or balance hanging out with friends and family. At the same time I do miss all those different activities to be involved with back in Abilene and going to friends' houses and getting to see me brothers and cousins whenever I want.

We've had some great community things here at the Casa since Brazil. Raquel, the fabulous cook we've mention many-a-time, invited us all to her house this last Saturday to have a cook-out. We got to meet her husband, one of her sons, 2 of her 5 dogs, and see a traditional Uruguayan house with the Asado pit built into the backyard. Some of the kiddos then went to the Uruguayan rodeo that was in town. They all really enjoyed themselves as well as the Latin American fair foods such as churros and tortas fritas. I wish I would have gone, but at the time all I could see was mi cama (my bed) eagerly awaiting me. Nap time always seems like a good idea, but in retrospect often seems like time waisted. Anyway, I think it was something like $4 (that's US currency) to get into the fair. Add that to the list of things I am going to miss about this place.

Side note- Raquel has a son that lives in Fort Worth. COWTOWN! My home sweet home. She told me that she'll be there on May 10th for Mother's Day. It gives me joy to think that if I keep in touch, maybe we can get some Latin America Study Abroad Alum to road trip to Forth Worth the next time she is in the States. Zanessa has a lot of Raquel's recipes written in a notebook because she often helps Raquel cook in the mornings. I have only helped a few times, but Raquel is so eager to teach and so patient with us. Anyway, tonight Morgan is typing out Raquel's recipes and she's sending me a copy. If thou art wise, you will get in touch with me when I get home and get the recipes from me.

Tomorrow some of us are going to the zoo with nuestra profesora de español- AMELIA! She recently discovered that a bunch of us do not have classes on Wednesday afternoons and so she invited us to hang out with her. The week before Brazil Stefanie and I went out with her. She took us all around the city to different museums and interesting historical sites and told us stories of her childhood here and how different life is now in Uruguay. Then we went to a little outside café and she treated us to El Chaná coffee (El Chaná is the name of the coffee factory that used to be where Casa ACU is today- same brand of coffee). She really is a rare and precious treasure of a woman. We decided that every Wednesday until we leave, we will do something with Amelia. Hopefully tomorrow more people will come to the zoo with us.

Today a handful of us reregistered for the YMCA for our last 3 weeks here. It was fun because we saw our friend Mauro's mom there- the lady that first signed us up- and she was so happy to see us. We talked with her and she congratulated us on our Spanish improvement. She was very helpful today. It felt good to be back at that gym. I can't wait para escalar (to climb) again! Hopefully I can go Thursday night. Also, on Saturday they are taking a rock climbing day trip. If someone else will go with me, I am definitely not going to miss that. Or maybe I should just brave up and go by myself- it would be a challenge, but I would get to have a lot of conversations in Spanish and I am sure Mauro is going, so I would at least know him and a few other people from the Wall.

Well, it is now 12:30 a.m. and I am a bit tired. Plus, I haven't seen Jessalyn in like 2 hours and I'm starting to have withdrawals (this summer is going to be rough) so I'm gonna post this sucker and head back to the room. (Side note- Stefanie is cooking dinner. Just now. Did I mention it's half past midnight?). This is another reason to hurry to bed because the smell of fried rice is now permeating the loft, so conveniently over the kitchen. Ok...Maybe just a bite ;-)

Once again, Shout out to Carolyn Howell for making an INCREDIBLE Easter video!

1 comment:

Delonybro said...

Awesome Video! Good job, Carolyn! Can't wait to see you guy's footage of Brazil!