Monday, April 27, 2009

no need for coffee this morning

This morning I went with Halie and Kortney to the little private school around the corner to teach English. Turns out this 6th grade class knows a good bit of English. I was quite impressed. Many of us here at Casa ACU have gone to help teach and play English games with the kids at the elementary school and have had good feedback from the school teachers. Though we had to wake up a bit more "temprano," the kids were certain to wake us up. I had forgotten how much energy such little beings are capable of exerting. Kortney, who had been to the school three times before, said this was one of the calmer classes- I sure am glad I picked today to go. En serio, this morning was loads of fun and, not to mention, an enjoyable way to earn service hours.

One of the requirements of study abroad is volunteer hours. I think the purpose is to make sure students are getting involved in the community and it ensures that we will work side by side with the Montevidean/Oxfordian people. Some students have volunteered teaching English in an institution called the Alianza. Others have helped with conversation clubs with the Iglesia de Cristo next door. Sweet Sarita has been spending time with a young boy with Downs Syndrome. I have been helping with a church youth group, which unfortunately started only two weeks ago, so I have only just barely scratched the surface with these teens. I wish it had been going on all semester because I would have been able to establish relationships and trust with the girls I've met.

Anyway, this short video shows just one of the many opportunities we've had to get involved in our community. That's right. OUR community.


SCHOOOOOL from Kara DuBose on Vimeo.

From my home on Colonia,

Kara "Face" DuBose

2 comments:

Bethany DuBose said...

Kara I love you come home already!!! Only a few more days!!!!! YEAH!!!!!!!!

Delonybro said...

After getting to meet all you guys, I LOVE your cutaways to Kortney's questions. It's so very fitting!